Chapter Sixteen

1

Jamie was not the same child after the incident at Elaine’s office. Karen and Vic saw the difference in her immediately. She took independent charge of her life. She knew what she wanted and she asked for it. It wasn’t as if she were a totally different child. She was just as polite and loving as always, and she was just as wonderful to be around. The difference had more to do with her level of self-confidence.

The evening of the fainting incident, Vic arrived home from work and they talked as usual at the dinner table. Jamie announced confidently that she would no longer require the services of Elaine Rubin. She asked her mother and father if they would help her learn by getting books for her from the public library. She insisted that they needn’t buy her any more books, and that she knew exactly what she was doing.

That night Vic and Karen had a discussion in their bedroom. They talked about Jamie and decided that they had no idea what had come over her. They both knew that Jamie was an exceptional child, and they somehow sensed that it might be wise to give Jamie’s demands a try. After an hour of discussion, they agreed to give it a month or two and see how things worked out.

.....

By the time she was two, it was clear that Jamie indeed had control of her own life. She was reading on her own, and she was learning to write with her mother’s help. She had been controlling her own course of study for around three months, and her parents found it wonderful watching her develop.

Karen’s fears about losing her daughter because of her own intellectual limitations turned out to be quite unfounded. Jamie seemed to pay specific attention to her mother’s psychological needs. She made it clear to Karen that she knew her mother was concerned about not being able to keep up with her, and that she shouldn’t worry.

Jamie also cultivated friendships among the children her own age in the neighborhood. Karen observed them at play, and was amazed that Jamie never acted precocious in their presence. In fact, it was clear that she went out of her way to behave in every respect at their level.

Jamie specifically asked her parents to throw her a second birthday party and to invite a group of friends from the neighborhood. At the party, Jamie opened her presents and played with the other children, practically ignoring the adults. Vic and Karen couldn’t help but notice how expertly Jamie shifted personalities when she interfaced with the other children.

After the party, Karen couldn’t contain her curiosity any longer. She found a few minutes alone with Jamie and sat down for a conversation.

“How was your party, Jamie?”

“It was wonderful. I had a lot of fun.”

Karen had second thoughts about it, but she decided to ask, “Are you aware that you act differently when you’re around your friends?”

Jamie laughed at this and told Karen, “I wouldn’t have any friends at all if I acted myself, would I?”

“Then it’s just an act?” asked Karen.

“Sure, Mom. What did you think?”

Karen wasn’t sure what to answer. She simply said, “I’m just asking because I love you, sweetheart.”

.....

Jamie was reading everything she could get her hands on by the time she was thirty months. The biggest problem she had was getting her motor skills developed enough for writing and drawing. No matter how advanced her mind was, she still lived in a child’s body, and she understood that practice was the only way to develop those skills. It was frustrating to her, but she knew there was no other choice.

It was only a few weeks since she decided that she would try telling her mother some things about herself. She rehearsed things in her mind over and over again. Now she felt that she was ready. It was Thursday morning, and Dad was working. Mom came in from the kitchen and sat down in the living room with her. Jamie walked over and turned off the television. She wanted no distractions.

“Mom, we need to talk,” she announced. “I want to tell you something and I don’t want Dad to know.”

“Did you do something wrong?” her mother asked.

“No, Mom. It’s something I want to remain just between us. At least for the time being, anyway. You and I have a really wonderful, special relationship. Dad just wouldn’t understand this, and I’m sure you can.”

“Understand what, Jamie?”

“Will you promise to keep it our secret? Eventually we can tell Dad, but not until I say so. Is that okay with you?”

“Okay, I agree. Now what is it?”

“I have a gift that God gave me. I’m not this smart by accident. It was meant to be. I’m going to learn things quickly and I’m going to be quite a child prodigy.”

Her mother said, “I know all about that.”

Jamie was appalled. “You do?”

“Sure. You have a God-given gift and you have already done a lot with it. Why is that so secret?”

Jamie was relieved. “Mom, I’m going to tell you something that you don’t know. I’m not sure how you’re going to take this, but I have to take a chance. I was born with knowledge already in my brain.” Her mother said nothing, so Jamie continued, “I plan to learn very quickly on my own and, by the time I’m four, I’m going to know what a high school student knows, and even more.”

“What do you mean by knowledge already in your brain, Jamie?”

“Mom, would you just trust me on something? I don’t know where this knowledge comes from,” she lied, “but I know that I have an important purpose in life. It wouldn’t do for people to know that this knowledge was born into me. That’s where you come in. I need you to take me through the motions of learning things. I need to have a story that explains my knowledge as being acquired rather than inherited.”

Her mother was nervous. It was obvious that this was really making her uneasy. Jamie wondered if she had screwed up by telling her. Then her mother’s expression suddenly changed. She sighed and said, “I think somehow I always knew you were more than just special. I suppose I should be frantic right now, but I’m not. I can’t even say I’m really that surprised.”

“Mom, can I trust you to keep this between us?”

“What’s it all about Jamie? I know you’re a magical child, and I’ve known for some time now that you knew things you hadn’t been taught. I’ll keep it a secret if you’ll just confide in me a little bit more. I have to know what it’s all about.”

Jamie thought about this request for a moment. Then she thought about how she should phrase her answer. “I don’t know how I know it, but I’m going to make a significant contribution to mankind. I know in my heart that God gave me my gift for a purpose. I guess I’ll figure out the purpose when the time comes.”

Her mother was calmer than Jamie expected. Jamie was feeling quite proud of herself. Her mother seemed deep in thought, then looked into Jamie’s eyes and said, “I’ll keep the secret, Jamie. But, why are you telling me this now?”

“I’m afraid that if people found out about my gift, they may not understand. Many people might view me as a heretic or even a demon of some sort. I need you to help me construct a viable story as to how I learned everything so quickly. I can’t do it on my own. I need to be viewed by the world as a prodigy child; a genius who learns things at first sight.”

“Why can’t you just take it slower. Why do you have to know all this stuff by age four?” her mother asked.

“I’m not sure about that either,” Jamie again lied. “Inside me I just know that time is very important. I have to trust my own feelings on this.”

“Lord knows why,” said her mother, “but I’ll help you, Jamie. And your secret’s safe.”

“Thanks, Mom. I really love you very much.”

.....

Karen needed to hear those words. Her head was spinning and she was overcome by a feeling of uselessness. But somehow this incredible child still needed her and loved her. She had a million questions and she didn’t know where to begin.

This time it was Karen who led the conversation. “Jamie, I need to know something,” she pleaded.

“What, Mom?”

“If you know all these things like you say you do, why do you keep asking for my help? Is it just an act, like when you play with children your age?”

“No, Mother. I may know lots of adult things, but my body is still little. I have trouble doing things properly with my hands. And I have trouble making my mind work exactly right. I don’t know exactly how to explain it. It’s like I know things, but I can’t get my mind to find them. Does that make sense?”

“Darling, none of this makes sense to me. But I hear what you’re saying, and I’m trying very hard to understand what it must be like for you.”

“There’s another thing, Mom. I still need you to love me. I’m just like any other child when it comes to that. I like when you hold me and read to me and sing. I love to be with you. And I love Dad too.”

“Why don’t you want Dad to know about our secret?”

“I would love to be able to tell him, but he won’t be able to understand it. He’ll tell other people. He’ll try to get other people involved. That would only get in the way of things. I may not be certain what I’m here to do, but I am certain that Dad mustn’t know yet. Maybe we can tell him someday. That’s the best answer I can give you.”

“Jamie, I don’t even know why I’m saying this, but I think you’re right. He wouldn’t be able to deal with this. I’m not even certain that I myself can deal with it.”

“You can, Mother.”


2

The next six months were extremely active ones. Karen and Jamie worked very hard together. Karen brought home books from the library for Jamie to read. Jamie began to favor books on mathematics and elementary physics, and she read every word of them. Karen went to the school district at Jamie’s request and got a list of all the books the high school used in their academic courses. Jamie requested them one by one.

Jamie’s reading speed was slow, even though her comprehension was excellent. It struck Karen as bizarre that Jamie understood everything she read, but only had the skill to read at a snail’s pace. Jamie tried many times to explain, but Karen couldn’t seem to follow.

Karen began to read the books also. In school she hadn’t been that proficient at algebra or science, but this second time through helped her enormously. She asked Jamie questions, and Jamie had a way of explaining things that really helped Karen learn.

Jamie seemed to really appreciate the way Karen took such an interest in her learning. She often stopped what she was doing and gave her mother a spontaneous hug. She’d tell Karen what a great mother she was and how appreciative she felt.

Karen marveled at Jamie’s progress. The reading speed was the most obvious thing for Karen to gauge. Between thirty months and three years, Jamie more than quadrupled her reading speed. It was quickly approaching Karen’s own reading speed, and Karen had no doubt that Jamie would soon be leaving her in the dust.

.....

Karen was mesmerized when Jamie started working on word problems from an algebra book.

“Do you know this stuff?” Karen inquired one day.

“Yes, Mom,” Jamie answered while she worked a problem.

“If you know it, then why do you have to do so many problems?”

“It’s because I can’t get my brain to work right with what’s in my memory,” Jamie explained. “I have to practice. That seems to be the only way I can open up the right thought channels.” She looked up at her mother and added, “I don’t suppose that makes any sense, does it?”

Karen smiled and answered, “Well, I guess maybe it’s a little like knowing how to separate an egg, but still having to practice to get good at it.”

“Yes! It’s a little like that, but probably more like juggling than separating eggs. It’s very hard for me to learn how to operate this brain.” Jamie paused for a moment. “I need to try to put this in better perspective.” She scratched the back of her head trying to come up with a good example. “Mom, I knew words and what they meant before I could even make a sound that you and Dad could recognize. It’s even hard for me to understand it, and I lived it.”

Karen kissed her daughter on the forehead. Jamie looked up from her math book and gave her mother a warm smile. “God, I don’t know what I’d do without you, Mom.”

.....

Vic had been working long hours and coming home very tired. He spent whatever time he could with Jamie, but he usually fell asleep on the sofa after dinner. He was aware that Jamie was a remarkably advanced child, but he didn’t have the detailed understanding that Karen had.

Jamie seemed to require her father’s company, even if he did spend most of the time lying around. Jamie would lie down with him on the sofa after dinner, both of them on their sides. He’d put his arm around her or run his fingers through her hair. Karen used to think she could almost hear Jamie purr when he held her that way.

With Vic’s long hours and chronic exhaustion, came boredom. Karen was acutely aware of it, although she didn’t think Jamie was. Around the time Jamie was three, the boredom was getting worse and Karen was afraid Vic might start drinking again.

In the privacy of their room he began to complain about life being so humdrum. He missed the excitement that Jamie had provided as an infant, and he began to talk about having another child. Given her knowledge of Jamie’s special needs, it was out of the question for Karen. It began to wear thin as she repeatedly made excuses to Vic. She felt his unhappiness growing and she began wanting to tell him about Jamie’s wonderful secret.

She decided to talk with Jamie about it. She wasn’t certain how Jamie might take it. Karen didn’t want to take the slightest risk of losing her daughter’s special trust. She broached the subject very carefully one afternoon.

“Jamie, have you noticed how bored your dad seems lately?”

“No, Mom. I know he’s tired all the time, but that’s because of the hours he works.”

“Well, he’s more than just tired. He wants more excitement in his life. He was even thinking of having another child.” She dropped the bomb and counted to three. “He used to drink all the time, and having you was what gave him the incentive to stay sober. I just wonder if all this boredom might lead him to start drinking again.”

Jamie raised her eyebrows when Karen mentioned another child. She studied her mother’s face. “Mom, I wasn’t born yesterday.” Then she burst out laughing and added, “Well, maybe I was born yesterday, but I don’t feel like I was.”

Karen broke out in laughter too. They both stopped simultaneously, and Jamie turned serious. “What I was trying to say, Mom, is that I understand the problem. I suppose there are two choices. One, have another baby; two, let him in on our secret.”

Karen was astounded at Jamie’s perception. She coaxed Jamie along by asking, “And?”

Jamie was obviously giving this some serious thought. “And, I wonder what kind of life it might be for a second child following in my footsteps. Not a very happy one I would guess.” The concern in her face was quite evident. “Maybe we can let him know some of the secret, but not all of it.”

Karen was relieved beyond words. “What do you suggest, honey?”

“Suppose you just tell him I’m some kind of a prodigy.....No! I have a better idea. Maybe it’s time for the world to have its first glimpse of a real prodigy anyway. How do you feel about calling that reporter on channel six? What’s her name, again? Oh yes, Brittany Peters.”

Karen was puzzled. “You want to draw attention to yourself?”

“No, Mom, I didn’t want to do it this early. But I love Dad, and I don’t want him feeling bored or drinking. There’s no reason that I can’t adjust my plans a little bit to accommodate him. If this goes the way I think it will, Dad’s not going to be bored very much longer.”

“What do you want me to do?” Karen asked.

“Do we have a chess set, Mom?”

“No! I haven’t played chess since I was in high school.”

Jamie thought for another moment. “Go buy a chess set. You and I can practice for a day or two until we both feel comfortable playing. Then you can call Brittany Peters and tell her you have a three-year-old child that can beat her at chess.”

“Are you saying that you’ll learn how to play chess in a day or two?”

“I’m not that smart, Mother. I already know how to play. It’s all part of our little secret.”

Karen cast a concerned look at Jamie and asked, “What are we going to tell Dad?”

“Tell him I’m smarter than he thought! But don’t tell him anything until after you get the chess set. By the way, does Dad play chess?”

Karen was ashamed to admit, “I really don’t know, sweetheart.”

“It really doesn’t matter. It would just be nice if he and I could play. It would make him feel more a part of everything, don’t you think?”

Karen was amazed at Jamie’s sensitivity. “Thank you for this, darling. I think your dad is going to love this.”

“We have to be careful, Mother,” Jamie cautioned. “It’s a little risky bringing in the television people. You’ll have to protect me from their probing. I don’t want them knowing too much about me at first. You’ll have to sort of act like my agent or something. Can you do that?”

“You bet! I’ll pick up a chess set tomorrow.”


3

Karen and Jamie sat opposite one another for their first chess match. Karen opened and Jamie responded immediately. As the game progressed a little bit, Jamie’s moves started taking longer and longer. Karen timed the waiting period and saw that it was consistently about three minutes.

Jamie was first to say something. “It’s funny, Mom, but I have to work very hard to discipline my mind enough to play this game. I think I’m getting the hang of it, though. One part of my brain knows exactly what to do, and another isn’t quite cooperating.”

“Take your time,” Karen advised. “We’ll practice as long as you want.”

The first game took almost two hours, but Jamie did win it hands down. They played a second game that took only forty minutes, and a third that took fifteen. Jamie won all three.

“I think I’ve got it under control, Mom. The trick is for me to visualize more. When I form a mental picture of the board, I can plan my moves three or four in advance. I’m no Bobby Fisher, but I’ll bet I can beat Brittany Peters.”

Karen smiled and said, “Somehow I don’t think it matters if you win or lose. Honey, you can’t imagine what it looks like from my side of the board. A three-year-old playing the way you do is absolutely astonishing to watch.”

“Then I think you can make the call,” Jamie assured.

.....

Brittany Peters arrived with one cameraman. After introductions were made, Brittany asked to sit down and do a preliminary interview before doing any taping. The three of them sat around the kitchen table while the cameraman watched television in the living room.

“Please tell me about Jamie, Mrs. Meyers.”

“Jamie’s been a rather special child almost since birth. She learns extremely quickly. She reads and writes well, and she speaks at an incredibly advanced level. As I told you on the phone, she can play chess like most adults.”

“Has Jamie ever been examined professionally for her special talents?”

“Before she was two, she saw someone for a few visits, but Jamie didn’t like it. She only wanted to learn things on her own.”

“May I speak directly with Jamie, please?”

Karen and Jamie both nodded simultaneously.

Brittany jotted down notes as she spoke. “Do you know what a smart little girl you are, Jamie?”

“I guess I’m pretty smart. I learn stuff pretty quickly. Mom and Dad say I’m real smart compared to other kids, but I really don’t know how other kids are.”

Karen watched Jamie’s act and almost cracked a smile. She had to concentrate so she could maintain her cool.

Brittany continued, “What else can you do besides play chess, Jamie?”

“I can read books and I can do arithmetic,” Jamie baited.

“Where did you learn all this?”

“Mostly from my Mom, and some from just reading.”

The initial interview took about thirty minutes. Jamie played a few moves of chess until Brittany was satisfied about her skills, and then Jamie read out loud from a newspaper that Brittany had with her. After Jamie did some multiplication problems, Brittany had seen enough.

“You’re quite the young lady,” Brittany complimented. “Can I start shooting the interviews on camera?” she asked the two of them.

“Go right ahead,” Karen said. She winked at Jamie when she was certain Brittany wasn’t watching.

The whole thing took about thirty minutes to shoot. Brittany did one-on-one’s with Jamie and with Karen. She did a brief portion of a chess match and had Jamie work an arithmetic problem for the camera. Then she did a brief interview with mother and daughter together. Brittany finished up with a short closing piece with only herself on camera.

“Great story,” Brittany advised as they packed up their equipment. “I’d like to ask my editor if there’s a possibility for a follow-up story on Jamie. Would that be all right, Mrs. Meyers?”

“It’s fine with me, but it’ll be up to Jamie,” answered Karen.

Jamie jumped right in before Brittany could ask. “I think it’s fun. Will I get to be on television everywhere, or just Buffalo?”

Brittany answered, “Just Buffalo for right now, sweetheart. But you never know. It could have network news appeal. I’ll talk to the editor about it.”

They all said their good-byes and Karen sat in the living room alone with Jamie. “How was it?” she asked Jamie.

“I think it was great. I’ll bet we hear from them real soon.” Jamie looked in her mother’s eyes and asked, “Are you ready for some action?”

Karen shrugged her shoulders. “I hope this is good for your father, Jamie. We mustn’t forget that this is for him too.”

“He’s going to love it, Mother!”

.....

The story hit the evening news that very night. Karen taped it to show Vic later, and to have a permanent copy. Karen was a little disappointed in the coverage. The edited version took only ninety seconds to run. But Jamie was thrilled with it.

The phone began ringing right after the story aired. Friends and relatives had their various comments, congratulations, and skepticisms to express. One phone call came in that pleased Jamie more than any other. It was the local newspaper calling to see if they could have an interview. Karen asked Jamie what she should tell them, and Jamie said to take their number and tell them she’d get back to them.

When Vic got home, Karen played the tape for him and told him about the calls. He seemed quite excited about it all. The phone continued to ring sporadically the rest of the evening, and Vic insisted on answering each time. He wasn’t tired at all that evening, and he spent some time talking with Jamie at her bedtime.

That evening, Vic and Karen watched the late news to see if the story would run again. They were delighted when it did. Karen watched Vic’s reactions very carefully. She really wanted this to work for him.

“Our little Jamie’s quite the celebrity,” he beamed.

“Isn’t she?” Karen answered. “I think it may get worse, though. What if she attracts national attention? What would we do then?”

“Probably make a ton of money!” Vic suggested.

“I hadn’t even considered that,” Karen lied. “That would sure come in handy for college and all.”

The mention of college really got Vic thinking. “Karen, I never even gave college much thought. But if Jamie’s as smart as she seems, she might be going to college sooner than we could imagine.”

“We’re going to have to play this one by ear, Vic. I almost wish Jamie wasn’t so special. It’s got to be very hard on her.” Karen wanted to test the water at this point. “Jamie is quite a handful. She keeps me busy all day long.”

Vic asked, “Would it help if I got a little more involved? I could probably spend a little more time with her in the evenings. God, I am so proud of her.”

Karen was delighted. “I’m sure Jamie would appreciate all the time you could spend with her. She’s just crazy about you.”

Vic fell asleep with a proud smile on his face. Karen lay awake wondering what was going to happen now that Jamie’s special abilities were public knowledge.

.....

A call came in the next afternoon from Brittany Peters. Her editor was thrilled with the feedback from the piece they aired on Jamie. The network had expressed an interest, and that could mean a follow-up piece. Brittany wanted to know if they were willing to let her follow through with the network inquiry. Karen and Jamie agreed.

When Karen hung up the phone, she asked Jamie, “How do you think this is going to pan out?”

Jamie shifted her eyes back and forth as she thought it over. “I think the network thing will happen, and it will lead to bigger opportunities.”

“What sort of opportunities?”

“I’m not sure, but we’ll probably be flooded with calls from talk shows and universities and other news media. I think there will be a big added bonus for you and Dad too. I think you can make a fortune out of all this.”

“I don’t know the first thing about handling all this stuff, Jamie.”

“If it gets serious, I think we can get an agent.”

The idea never crossed Karen’s mind. “An agent?” she asked. “Isn’t that a bit much?”

“I think we’re going to need one, Mom. But let’s just wait and see.”

One of the calls that came in that day was from Doctor Elaine Rubin. She had seen the newscast the night before, and she asked all about Jamie. She wanted to know if Jamie and Karen perhaps had a change of heart about seeing her professionally. Karen said she’d have to discuss it with Jamie and they’d get back to her. When she hung up, Karen mentioned it to Jamie. Jamie’s reaction surprised her.

“I may need someone like Elaine,” she commented. “She can probably get me exposure to the big universities and the researchers. That might come in pretty handy.”

“How?” Karen wanted to know.

Jamie had a prepared answer that she felt her mother would buy. “I think it might be in my best interest to make as much of my talents as possible. Professional educators can probably help me develop faster and stronger than I could ever do on my own.”

“Why the change of heart, Jamie?”

“It’s not really a change of heart, Mom. I always knew I had to get the best formal education possible. When I stopped seeing Elaine, it was because I was worried about inadvertently revealing my secret; our secret! Well, things have changed. The cat’s out of the bag now and I can start thinking about my future education. We’ll still continue with the studies at home, though. Don’t forget that only the two of us know the secret. It has to look like the knowledge I have was learned on my own.”

A chill went through Karen’s spine. “I see your point, Jamie. We’ll continue with the studies as long as you like. Just tell me what you want me to do.”

“Thank you, Mom. This isn’t easy for me despite what you might think. It’s kind of a burden having so much knowledge and so few years.” She kissed her mother on the forehead. “I promise you that some day I’ll pay you and Dad back for all this.”

“Pay us back?” Karen queried.

“I know this is going to be tough on both of you. And you’ve been cheated out of having a normal baby to love and raise. I didn’t mean to take that away from you.”

“You’re not taking anything away from us, Jamie.”

“Yes I am,” Jamie disagreed. “You may not see it now, but you will some day.”


4

A week passed and things started to get back into a normal routine. Jamie was hitting the books and practicing her math and physics problems. Karen was studying right along side of her, and loving the opportunity to learn. Vic was responding well to Jamie, and he seemed to forget his boredom. They were functioning as much like a family as circumstances would permit.

Right after breakfast the telephone rang. It was Brittany Peters and she was all excited. “I have to talk with you, Karen. I got the go-ahead to do a special piece on gifted children, and Jamie in particular. It’s a network piece. It’s going to air on national television in a few months if it’s any good. Can I come over and talk?”

Karen said, “Let me check with Jamie. Can you hold for a minute?” Karen related the news and Jamie concurred. “Okay, Brittany! Jamie says it’s a go.”

“Are you free for lunch?” asked Brittany.

“Sure. Where do you want to meet?”

When the arrangements were made, Karen spoke with Jamie about it. “How should we play this, Jamie?”

“Let’s just see what she has to say. We don’t have to commit to anything right away.” Jamie’s face took on a big grin. “It’s happening, Mom!”

.....

Nobody was very hungry. Three hamburgers sat practically untouched on their plates. The network people had outlined the piece they wanted, and they allocated six minutes for it. They planned to use it on a national news broadcast if it met standards. There was even a chance that the network’s weekly television magazine show might be interested in doing a full-blown twenty-two minute piece on Jamie if the bigwigs liked the news spot.

This was the big opportunity that Brittany Peters had hoped for. This kind of story could be a career-maker. She could hardly contain her excitement. She went over all the details for Karen and Jamie. She explained how the station’s writers and researchers would assist.

“How does it sound so far?” Brittany asked.

“It’s overwhelming,” Karen responded. “How long before we have to decide?”

Brittany didn’t hide her disappointment well. “I was kind of hoping you’d give your okay today.” She looked at Jamie and then back to Karen. “Can you let me know by tomorrow afternoon?”

“Can you give Jamie and me a minute alone?” begged Karen.

“Sure!” agreed Brittany. “I have to powder my nose anyway.”

When they were alone, Karen asked, “What do you think?”

“I have no problem with it at all,” Jamie answered. “How about you?”

“It’s fine with me.”

When Brittany came back to the table, Karen and Jamie were both working on their burgers. Karen signaled “one minute” with her index finger while she forced herself to swallow a large bite. “Oh, excuse me, Brittany. You caught me with my mouth full. Jamie and I talked it over and we agree to do it.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful! I’ll get things started back at the station and you should hear from me tomorrow.”

They finished lunch discussing the way things worked with the networks and the affiliates. Brittany commented on how this would give national exposure to Jamie and how it might open up all sorts of opportunities for her education, not the least of which might be earning some big bucks on the side.

.....

The next few weeks were busy ones. There were lots of phone calls and visits from Brittany. Then they arranged a meeting with the news editor and station manager so that they could meet Karen and Jamie. This was the first time either of them had visited a television station.

Jamie was impressed by the researchers. She asked them a lot of questions and they asked a lot back. It was clear to Jamie that they had access to all sorts of information. They told Jamie all about how they used computers to research things on a national level. They explained about data banks and how newspaper articles, research papers, and all that sort of stuff were carefully cataloged by information services. They also told her that those services charged a lot of money, and usually only the network people could afford to produce shows that required lots of research.

The information Jamie got from the researchers interested her more than anything else that happened that day. She politely met with everyone and answered all their questions the best she could. She smiled a lot and tried to remain focused on the production. She knew more than ever how important it would be to get this national exposure.

She went over in her mind the information that she had been given by Zoron and Jonah. She wondered how hard it would be to manipulate people to do some very special research for her. She couldn’t get her mind off her mission.